We are focusing on creating an affordable neighbourhood for a diverse community of working people on Salt Spring with a range from low to middle-income levels.
The criteria is still evolving but will be similar to the criteria below. Also, the criteria is not exclusionary and is intended only to help with the prioritization of applications in the selection process.
Applicants will be able to qualify for a maximum of 100 points which will establish priority. The 30 applicants with the most points will be eligible to purchase one of the units. In the case where we have a tie for the 30th position, priority will be given to those who applied the earliest.
In the case of couples/partners who choose to purchase jointly, they will each apply and their point scores will be averaged.
Please see below for the categories and point allocations:
1. Qualifies with BC Housing as a first time buyer. (20 points)
2. Has a job on Salt Spring Island. (20 points) OR Has a job offer for a job on Salt Spring Island. (10 points)
3. Has a job on Salt Spring Island working in the healthcare field or in social services. Examples could include nurse, nurse practitioner, medical technician, counsellor, outreach, transition house worker, home care worker, healthcare assistant, support worker, teacher, teacher’s assistant… (15 points)
4. Has been living on Salt Spring Island for at least one year. (5 points)
5. Has been living on Salt Spring Island for at least five years. ( An additional 10 points)
6. You will receive 20 points if you are 35 years of age or under. For every year of age after 35 you will receive one less point. For example, someone who is 40 years of age at the time of the application will receive 15 points and someone who is 52 years of age will receive 3 points. (Up to 20 points)
7. Has a gross annual income of $60,000 or less as verified by income tax filings. (10 points)